Home and Garden

What is the affordable warmth grant?

Affordable warmth grants are part of a government initiative called the Affordable Warmth Obligation, which has been set up to help millions of people throughout the UK to make their homes warm and energy efficient and to reduce their energy bills.

Grants are available for loft and wall insulation and for boiler repair or replacement.

Who is eligible?

Affordable warmth grants are designed to help people on benefits and in receipt of a low income to carry out necessary energy-saving work in their home.

You may be eligible for a grant if you either own your own home or rent from a private landlord and claim one of the following benefits: child and/or working tax credits, universal credit, pension guarantee credit, income support, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, disability living allowance. There are also a number of other qualifying benefits.

If you are a social housing tenant living in social housing that has an energy efficiency rating of E, F or G, you may be entitled to help with insulating your home or having a heating system installed for the first time. The Energy Performance Certificate Register can be used to check your home’s energy efficiency rating.

What is covered?

Grants can be awarded to cover part or all of the cost of insulation work to cavity walls or lofts. Grants may also be available for electric storage heaters or boiler repair Gloucester. They may also be awarded where a boiler needs replacing.

Gloucester boiler repair and installation services such as http://www.hprservicesltd.com/gloucester-boilers/boiler-repair-gloucester/ will be familiar with affordable warmth grants, and what they cover, and whether you will be eligible.

Are landlords eligible for grants?

The application must always be made in the name of the householder, as eligibility is based on their income. Applications can be made by landlords, providing that the tenant has given permission to use their personal details when applying.

Private landlords can register their interest in the Affordable Warmth Obligation scheme if there are electric storage heaters that are faulty or repairs required to the central heating boiler. The criteria for applying is that the tenant must be living in the property at the time of the grant application. There must be a tenancy agreement in place and an award letter must be submitted that sets out the tenant’s state benefits entitlement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *